For us to provide you with financial products and services We need to collect, use, share and store personal and financial information about you. This privacy notice aims, among other things, to inform you about how the various companies within the group undertake to keep your personal information secure when providing you with financial products and services. This information includes information you share with us, information that We gather during the course of our relationship with you as client, as well as information about your marketing preferences. This notice also sets out your rights and how you may protect them.
Nedbank Group Limited (‘We’ or ‘Group’) is a diversified financial services provider that, through its subsidiaries, offers a wide range of wholesale and retail banking services, as well as insurance, asset management and wealth management solutions.
Outside of South Africa, We operate in six countries in the Southern African Development Community (SADC), through subsidiaries and banks in Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland and Zimbabwe, and We have representative offices in Angola and Kenya.
We have a presence in key global financial centres in Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey and London, and a representative office in Dubai, to provide international financial services for clients in South Africa and Africa.
Personal information is data that can be used to identify you. This information includes but is not limited to names, ages, identity numbers, registration numbers, addresses and other contact details, income and payments records, financial information and banking details.
We collect your personal information in the following ways:
- Directly from you when you complete a product application form, whether electronically or on hard copy.
- Indirectly from you when you interact with us electronically. When you are browsing our website (including our mobile application), We may collect information from you, such as your internet address and server logs. (All internet banking sessions are encrypted and personal information is stored according to internationally accepted banking information security practices.)
- Directly from other sources, such as public databases, data aggregators and third parties, as well as other financial institutions, credit bureaus, fraud prevention agencies; or indirectly through your interactions with third parties
We may, with your permission if required, use personal and biometric information we collected in a number of ways, for example:
- To identify you.
- To provide you with financial products and services.
- To assess your creditworthiness.
- To detect and prevent fraud and crime.
- To detect and prevent money laundering.
- For audits and debt collection purposes.
- For statistical analysis.
- To meet our obligations under an agreement with you.
- To comply with legislative requirements.
We may record and monitor any communications between you and us and use these recordings to verify your instructions to us, to analyse, assess and improve our services to clients, and for training and quality purposes.
We will not sell your information to third parties and will only market to you in accordance with our legal obligations and your marketing preference, using the communication method you chose.
We may communicate with you by post, phone, SMS, email and other electronic media, including our ATMs, mobile applications or online banking services, about products that may be of interest to you. You may ask us to stop or start sending you marketing messages by informing us in writing or through our branch network, call centres or website.
It is your right to refuse to provide personal information, but you must keep in mind that this refusal may limit our ability to provide the required financial services to you. It is important to note that the Group will only collect information from you that is necessary and relevant to the service or product to be provided.
No information will be collected without your prior consent or as prescribed by law. We will not use information collected about you for marketing purposes you have not consented to.
Should We make use of third-party data providers, We will ensure that such providers have obtained the required consent to share the information with Nedbank.
We will disclose your personal information to third parties outside the Group only under the following circumstances:
- We have your consent to do so.
- We are required to do so by law.
- It is necessary to protect our legitimate interest, your legitimate interest or the legitimate interest of a third party to whom the information is supplied.
- It is in the public interest to do so.
- We have to meet tax reporting requirements.
- We are ordered to do so by a court of law.
Protecting Nedbank’s interests may sometimes require the disclosure of specific client information to third parties, for example if payment failed due to insufficient funds in an account. Where required to protect the public interest, information regarding a client’s debt may be disclosed to credit bureaus or debt collection agencies.
When sharing your information with recipients in other jurisdictions, We will ensure that they adhere to similar privacy protection requirements as we do – either by law or by legal agreement.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. To prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, We have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect.
We will retain your information only for as long as we need it, given the purpose for which it was collected, or as required by law (including tax legislation) and any other statutory obligations (including anti-money-laundering and counter-terrorism requirements). Your information may be retained for varying periods from the end of our relationship, depending on regulatory requirements. We will take all reasonable steps to destroy or deidentify the personal information that we hold when it is no longer required.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
If you want to verify the information we have about you or want us to update, change, or delete it, you may:
- refer to our Promotion of Access to Information Manual which is available on www.nedbank.co.za;
- call the Nedbank Contact Centre on 0860 555 111; or
- go to a Nedbank branch.